Self-esteem is hard to come by. Young women are inundated with conflicting messages: “Be yourself!” but “You should look like this model.” “Eat a healthy diet; embrace your body for what it is!” but “Thin is in.” Teen girls in particular are very susceptible to the confusion that comes with such conflicting messages. The question becomes “Am I really ok just the way I am?” Where there is doubt, there is a breeding ground for low self-esteem to develop. This can lead to a host of difficult issues, including eating disorders, depression, anxiety, and even substance abuse or self harm.
There are many resources available for help with developing and maintaining self-esteem and self-love, but I have not found many that speak to the unique needs of teen girls. Enter “Your Super Awesome Life: The Workbook!” This workbook is a tremendous resource for teen girls who are struggling with big, scary questions like:
- Who am I now?
- Who do I want to be?
- How do others see me?
- How do I want others to see me?
To be honest, even at age 34, I still struggle with these very same questions. I did not have a resource like this workbook as a teen, and I did not develop my self-esteem during that time. Now I feel very much like a teen girl in a 30-something’s body. So as I read through the workbook I decided to try the exercises. When I was finished, I had clarity. It felt amazing. And for teen girls, this kind of clarity can be a real savior. It can be the catalyst for a lifetime of healthy self-esteem, which gives girls a chance at the life they deserve!
“A Super Awesome You: The Workbook” is divided into 6 sections, each with guided exercises to help girls gain some insight about who they are and who they want to be:
- “Dig deep and explore those tough questions:” the very same tough questions I mentioned above;
- “Get unstuck:” Addressing fears and making plans;
- “Understand the feelings:” How do you feel when you are being your true self? Tips for hanging onto that feeling in any situation;
- “Brainstorm-a-palooza:” Finding ways to keep those great “being myself” feelings with you all the time;
- “Set Goals:” Where do you want to be in 5 years? The planning starts here; and
- “Own your awesome:” Self-acceptance! Awesome feeling!
“A Super Awesome You: The Workbook” is a fun and thought-provoking tool for teen girls who are trying to find and accept their true selves. I strongly believe that girls who complete this workbook will have a solid foundation of self-esteem that will guide them through the challenging years ahead. The workbook is a fantastic resource that I would recommend to anyone without hesitation!